Fashions on the Field
The Cairns Amateurs Fashions on the Field is indisputably the pinnacle showcase of racewear in the region.
Fashions on the Field is a highly-anticipated, hotly contested event each year with entrants coming from as far afield as New Zealand as well as local and interstate competitors.
Each year judges from across the spectrum of Australian fashion and media cast expert eyes over the entrants. Their presence creates an event of style, contemporary trends and elegance.
Fashions on the Field categories in 2012:
Ladies Day (Friday)
· Open Ladies Racewear
· Millinery Award (judged from entrants in both Open Racewear categories)
· Gold Class (Ladies 50 years and over)
· Best Emerging Designers
This category is open to any person without commercial design experience and encourages outstanding racewear design. The Garment and Millinery component must be designed and made by the entrant. There is a first prize for Best Emerging Designer and a runner-up for Best Emerging Milliner.
Amateur Cup Day (Saturday)
· 25 & Under Ladies
· Open Classic Ladies Racewear
· Best Dressed Couple categories
· Open Men's Racewear
What to wearAs the Cairns Amateurs is a Spring Racing Carnival, the judges will be looking for elegant and stylish race wear to suit the season as well as the latest fashion trends.
The panel of preliminary and finalist judges will base their votes on the following criteria:
- Style and originality
- Interpretation of latest fashion trends
- Appropriate racewear for a Spring carnival at Cairns Amateurs
- Attention to detail with accessories such as shoes, handbag, jewellery, lapel flower
- Style, design and quality workmanship of millinery components including originality, concept of theme and wearability.
- High standards of grooming and deportment
How to enter
This year nominations will be accepted on the day prior to 11.00am as there is pre-registration online.
You need to arrive at the track and look for the Fashions on the Field Entrants Area in the Garden Party starting at 11.00am. Those who register online will need to bring their booking confirmation as all entrants need to confirm online registrations. Following this, there will be rolling heats on the Garden Party Catwalk.
From 1.00pm the Finalist Judging will begin. Up to eighteen (18) finalists will be presented on the main catwalk during Finalist Judging.